Saturday, May 18, 2013

Power and Moneyball..............

So today I am thinking about what the value of art is...........I recently posted on Facebook about the great wealth of some contemporary artists and the market versus the poverty of most artists in the world

An artist I respect replied that the artist worked hard and deserved their wealth.  I cannot deny this, yet I wonder about my own ambitions and what kind of person I would become if I was a financial success.  I chose the word financial after trying "commercial" or social success as they did not seem right in this context.

Its kind of like thinking what I would do if I won the lottery.  Yesterday I was at a 7/11 and had the "what would you do if" conversation with the woman at the counter.  She would buy her mom a laundromat and herself her own 7/11.........I would create a legacy project for artists whose work would otherwise go unnoticed............

I never think money is the point.........it is the power associated with the money.........the power to control the world around us, to feel safe, to control others...........it is a dangerous game that easily can get out of control for sure.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon